Shirodhara – A Stress-Buster Therapy to Rejuvenate You
Imagine the steady flow of lukewarm oil tripping on your forehead smoothly. Just a thought soothes the mind. In Ayurveda, this ancient technique of reducing stress and anxiety is called Shirodhara.
Shirodhara is an ancient form of a rejuvenation therapy in which medicated oil with therapeutic properties is rhythmically poured over forehead from a specific height and for a specific period of time. The therapeutic oil runs through the scalp and into the hair that induces a state that is neither consciousness nor sleep. It is a blissful state which calms the mind.
Shirodhara is derived from words “Shir” and “Dhara”. While Shir means head, Dhara means to pour. Shirodhara is an effective stress buster therapy that deeply relaxes the nervous system, calms the mind, facilitates better brain function and lowers metabolism. Shirodhara rejuvenation therapy is beneficial for various other reasons as well, such as:
- Shirodhara cures insomnia and encourages sound sleep
- Shirodhara is an effective ayurvedic treatment for hypertension and relieves anxiety, chronic headaches
- Shirodhara is effective in treating disorders related to nervous system such as paralysis and facial palsy.
- It nourishes the hair and scalp and prevents premature graying of hair. People suffering from hair fall experience improvement in their condition.
- Regulates mood swings and depression disorders
- Cures migraine
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Improves concentration
- Helps in digestion
In short, Shirodhara nourishes and rejuvenates the mind and the entire body. Eventually, you come out feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. No wonder, undertaking Shirodhara also makes you look younger than your actual age. Regular Shirodhara treatments help people experience peacefulness and encourage sound sleep. It also improve your memory and enhances blood circulation to the brain.